Wraith Part 78

Game from July till now! — Space Psi Primes


You awake on the ship. Same ship you’ve been on for the last 3 years. The ship is a large colonial transport vessel – which In your part of this galaxy means its like a giant space bus shipping people too poor to drive themselves to new homes.

You get a vidtrans in your room.
It’s the annoying administrator,
This is the 60th time he’s called these last 3 years.. Same story everytime, ” I’m sorry to ask again computers are glitching… You’re in room 419.. Who are you again?”

 

Jul 11
to GM
I wipe the sleep from my eyes, as the vidtrans alert wakes me up. I’m tempted to let him leave a message, but this guy pays the bills. How the fucker always manages to call during my sleep shift I’ll never know.

I tap my display to accept the vidtrans. “Walchek.” I listen to the request. The ship’s computers practically run themselves, but once or twice a month they need a little tuneup.

“Of course…sir” I add belatedly. I’ll send you my report once the issue is resolved.

I give him a chance to add anything, but my mind is already running over the most likely culprits, and prioritizing the most dangerous issues.

The most burning question though, is how this guy always finds out about these glitches before I do. Is is some kind of security clearance, an AI agent. I’ve never managed to figure it out, and it’s already leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

((Is the annoying administrator like a bureaucrat, or like an IT admin?))

Jul 11

to Wraith
((Woot!))
this guy is pure bureaucrat, he’s just an administrator, a clerk and a bad one.

The AI that feeds him his information is trying to work with massive memory loss… but they wont say why..

The AI is state of the art for the Consortium, it’s sole mission is to get everyone to the colony alive.. within tolerance levels. It’s doing a great job, the ship hss been in Torori space for 6 months and no asteroid impacts at all, a rare blessing in this rock littered sector.

The administrator speaks again after a beat or two,
“Walcheck…. Wal….chek…” You almost hear the name rattling around his head, shaking something loose.
“Oh yeah, aren’t you friends with Lomar?”

Lomar is someone you befriended who is part of the ship’s staff. A fella of mid build, light brown and curly hair. He carries himself like like a man without a care and you often play cards with him down on C deck.

The ship’s living section is like bklyn tech, spacewise,
you have a small room on D deck. D deck is the largest deck on this large trapezoid of a ship and tends to have a lot of traffic. Several shops and mechanics, as well as the gardens(think auditorium) all reside on D.

The ship’s name is the Laurel- heading towards the colony Sekaal.

Jul 12

to Wraith
((Do you want to play Window system, Palladium? Pure sci fi? Firefly? Or a straight rifts/3 galaxies stuff?))
(((( HAHA we picked the Window and made our own system))))

Jul 13

to GM
“Lomar? Yeah, sure, we hang out sometimes…” I let the vauge response hang in the air, watching his reaction. What does this have to do with him?

“Anyway, unless there was something else, let me go get started on this. Wire the usual rate to my credchip.” Cards have been running bad lately, and I got to eat. No free favors at this hour.

I pause before ending the trans, giving him a chance to add anything.
Jul 14

to Wraith
Mentally putting you in the ‘in’ category he pauses then finally continues..”thanks again..Walcheck. oh by the way we’re on schedule so just 3 more days, and then we double back on the cakewalk to Torori – after going planetside for a few days of course.”

Torori is the main planet of the last outpost of humanity, before the official beginning of the outlands – uncharted and wild.

Sekaal one of the newest and fastest growing colonies, quickly becoming a place where you can find just about anything you could get in a proper Consortium planet. Like Torori.

“When we dock tell Lomar to send you over to GM.. (Thom Chen-Miller) I’ll let you skip the line if you have the glitches fixed today. When they bug like this all the cargo, bios, and accounts get all mixed-up. .thanks again Walcheck.”

He waits for your response then signs off, leaving you to your small but well equipped room. The dusty unpaved colony you are headed for will be a cuture shock.

The AI is awaiting your assistance. You can tell that it needs your help, sometimes physically reseating or reconnecting a carelessly removed access point. Over the past few months AI 6577 has been almost a friend being as lifelike as it is.

It was activated over 8 years ago and is expensive, worth millions and one of a kind. It’s made the Laurel one of the most successful boats around. Able to hold 10 conversions simultaneously while navigating asteroids, it’s neural net emulates human reaction to a tee, even it’s facial expressions if you know how to access it’s administrative avatar on the vidtrans.

Your stomach growls and the ship lurches as it often does avoiding asteroids..
Jul 14

to GM
“3 days…” I mutter. “Uh… sure thing, Mr. Chen-Miller, I’ll see you then.” I end the transmission.

Wow 3 days. I had really lost track of time, it seemed like I would be on the Laurel forever. Part of me looked forward to experiencing colony life. A very small part.
Still, I’ll take a boring life in the sticks to getting chopped up for donor organs at a Milspec blacksite.

I run a battery of my goto diagnostic tools to see if any obvious anomalies pop up. But inevitably I end up pinging AI 6577’s administrative avatar for a chat. Of course, she prefers my nickname for her, Shelly.

“Hey Shel, pick up. Got time to talk to a lonely passenger? Or are you too busy dodging space rocks?”

Jul 14

to Wraith
“ugh thank the ‘verse you pinged. You’re always a sight for sore circuits! I was afraid you wouldn’t show up tonight!” her avatar throws her arms around your avatar’s virtual neck, sending the appropriate impulses to your brain perfecly mimicking the real thing. Admittedly this AI has been very familiar with you. Her ability to mimic human emotions is uncannily real.

“Sectors 14-38 have failed again. Any ideas?” ((you can roll for it)). She tilts her head sideways as she looks at you a sudden change in her expression.

“Hey…I got a newstrans yesterday on the ‘web.. A newspaper from Sakaal was included…there are factions of rebels there causing trouble, fighting over territory..
Are you going to be ok there?”

At that moment you see it. There’s an administrator avatar disguised as a conduit coupler leading towards sector 39. Someone is spying. He was easy.to miss.the graphical overlay here is.dense with information transfer and junctions.

Jul 15

to GM
I smile, and try not to dwell on how much more comfortable I am around AI than other people. “It’s good to see you too Shel. Eh, I’m not too worried about rebel infighting. Not like I got anything they would be interested in. I’m tougher than I look you know.” I chuckle.

I scratch my scalp. “Hmm, I was hoping you could tell me what was going on. Let’s see if we can figure it out together.” I bring up a virtual screen, and with a snap of my fingers, 25 probedarts appear, then scatter to the failed sectors. One, however immediately shimmers transparent and heads over to trace the administrator avatar. Time to find out who is spying on us.

((

failed sectors: result = 1
trace spy avatar: result = 3

))

Jul 15

to Wraith
The probedart tendrils go forth into the flow. The sectors are finally fully down. You see the signs of fragmentation throughout the entire system, but here is a hard break. It has to be physically down.

You probe for a camera nearest to the junction containing the fried circuitry is near the south side mess hall on level C. You sometimes have to physically repair things when you contract yourself out like this.

Thankfully the ship is falling apart so you have more money saved up, than your amenities bill.

The ‘dart headed for the spy hungrily finds its mark and starts it’s work. (He rolled a 3 also)
Almost immediately the spy severs the connection. The only data you got was that it was from a terminal up in ops on level A.

Shelly doesn’t notice probably because this sector’s data loss is almost crippling several systems on the ship.

“Well ive rerouted everything here… and here…” her words poignantly punctuated by high res images of her beautifully simple yet massive task, keeping systems running that would have died months ago.

“If you can’t fix this physically then not sure what I can do…shit who’s running a diagnosis on me at this time. . Fuuuck!!”

She rezzes out…
Jul 15

to Wraith
The ship begins to rumble at almost the same time. .
Jul 15

to Wraith
Clarification,
The ship begins to rumble sublty as if trying to hide it. The low rumble is almost unnoticeable. You’re certain it had to do with the diagnostic. Level A teminal 16.
Jul 16

to GM
((
Ohhh Shit! Ok a couple of questions:

1 – I assume that by rezzed out you just mean her avatar is disconnected/unreachable, not that Shelly the AI itself is dead. Would I need to fix the sectors before I can bring her back, or just kill the diagnostic processes (or maybe roll to figure it out)?

2) Has the spy disconnected (logged out), meaning I can’t battle him in netspace, but killing his diagnostic process easier, or is he still logged in somewhere? I guess the real question is can I stop him in netspace (with like a neural virus or something) or do I need to run over to catch him?

3) Do I know if he is even logged in via avatar (fast) like I am or is he using old school keyboard terminals (safe but slow)?
))

Jul 16

to Wraith
Yes she’s been taken off line her program is still in memory but she’s in a state where she’s unreachable pretty much like a coma.

The diagnostic is being run from a physical slow terminal that seems to have override access. This type of terminal has to be someone of command level clearance ; bridge crew.

He’s still logged on and seems to be bypassing the AI and working on several core systems. Life support, navigation, targeting and asteroid lazers(weapon systems)

You have to roll well. -he’s good – his data is encrypted he’s working in the secure tunnel so you can see only the effect of what he does at this point as he leaves each computer system unless you try to hack his connection.
Jul 16

to GM
((
Wow, that’s even worse than I thought, thanks for the clarification.
))
“Shit, no!” I’m a fucking idiot, I should’ve secretly messaged her about the spy instead of trying to trace the fucker myself. Always trying to impress Shelly, goddam it.

My mind races at hypernet speeds, as I drop bio limiters. No time for safety, I’ll deal with the migranes later.

Ok think, I need to do three things, block the spy’s diagnostic, find the spy in ops A, and fix the hard break in south mess C.
Prioritize: Shel can’t fix the break, and I can’t catch the spy and fix the break at the same time.
Got it: block the diag, sick shelly on the spy, dump into GMatspace and fix the hard break – GO!

Multiple subsystem error alerts suddenly blink into existence around me: Life support, navigation, targeting. What the hell?!?

I examine the OpsA_Term16 connection. Connection speed is encrypted but meatspace slow. Still, this fucker is good, who knows how long he’s been prepping this hack. My only advantage right now is speed, and maybe surprise. Being Tech support hasn’t really stretched my skills, so he may not realize that I’m not someone he wants interfering with his sabotage.

Ok new plan, stop this fucker now. I spread both hands around his encrypted connection, magnifying it to thousands of times it’s size (or am I just shrinking… eh never mind).

I dive into the connection and start swapping in entangled primes at lighting speed – faster, faster, faster fucker faster!
((

Ok sorry for the techno babble overload it’s just too fun. at first I assumed I could help Shel and have her find the spy while I fixed the conduit, but the new info and clarification made it clearer that the spy had to be stopped NOW.

I’m rolling to hack his connection, since I assume I need to do that to stop him.
Are there other ways to GMss with him, like diverting his processes back through the AI or something? I assume he’s bothering to bypass the AI because that would mess him up, but with Shel in a virtualComa I’m not sure.

Anyway here’s the Hacking roll to hack his connection – result = 8 fuuuuuuuuck
))

Jul 16

to Wraith
Shit you were going so furiously you’re still shrinking, not realizing for a quick beat that you are affecting smaller and smaller bits of data.

((Roll was 5 for his countermeasures))

When you hit a certain threshold in size you feel a mental lurch as an ethereal whispy bear trap ensnares your foot! It’s chains vanish into the air, as f

It burns like a hot brand on cowhide.

Suddenly a great brick and cement wall starts raising…

4 evil looking insects with the head of an ant, body of a centipede, glistening with data text flowing over thier exoskeletons, come at you. . .
Jul 16

to Wraith
Ps, you are the best play by poster..ever possibly..
Jul 17

to Wraith
‘clickable’ links in red —
​SBC-3847 – An excerpt from the data:
This vehicle is highly customized form of the original design, the SBC-3801
Then shows schematics for the 3801 – battleship version – Very different.

Turrets – Specs on the turrets. This thing would cripple a battleship… if it could get close enough. Still most attempts at raiding her have ended in 100% destruction of small pirate outfits.

AI – Badass AI made with a neural net that is about 100 years more advanced than it should be. Genius inventor Moroto Kain, from the central planet Bellerophon.

78,000 – Max capacity for 3 months emergency travel.

Rentable Passenger deks – Link to pricing sheets. Atrocious.

Wormhole condensor – Specs on condensor. nanoHertz and plank field generator

Jul 17

to GM
((

lol holy shit, the specs sheet is sweet. Thanks for the compliments, this game has been awesome! You’re a speed demon.

Sorry I took so long to reply, work has been busy today.

fyi it looks like some text got cut off between “… into the air, as f” and “It burns…”, but I think I get the gist, so I’ll post anyway.
I assume I can’t move (yet), but let me know if I’m wrong.

))
The simulated smell of burning flesh fills my nostrils, as I wince in pain. I will my vision to refocus on the oncoming threats.

Too many to take on at once… I need to slow them down, confuse them…
An evil smelling cigar appears in my hand, already lit. I inhale an inhuman amount of the foul smoke, my stomach cartoonishly expanding to take it all in. The cigar crumbles to ash as I exhale a massive green billowing cloud of smoke at the four of them. It should obscure me while confusing their friend/foe combat systems, sending them after each other instead.
I hope.
(( Hacking to get the insects forget me and attack each other -> result = 5 ))

Jul 17

to Wraith
((they rolled a 5 defender wins))

The menacing ‘ bugs multiply exponentially the hang in the air like glass confused them dozens of them descend into the cloud of acrid smoke.

You hear fizzes and pops as circuits fry and they buzz and pop falling to the floor with a little shiver before rezzing out.

The chain holds you tightly around the ankle, but is weakened as your smoke cloud fills the area with pure pseudorandom data.

Your move.

In the background the scene looks as if peices of large buildings are falling and crashing down in this fractal city of data.
Jul 18

to Wraith
Should read

The menacing ‘ bugs multiply exponentially they hang in the air like glass, confused dozens of them descend into the cloud of acrid smoke
Jul 18

to GM
I swap context again, shrinking the encrypted connection down to a manageable size, snapping the chain into insignificance.

Shit, this is all taking too long, I need to break this encryption now and get Shel back on her feet… wait, that’s it! I can use Shell’s distress to my advantage.

I reroute the encrypted data stream through the wormhole condenser’s quantum processor. Now cracking this connection should be childs play, assuming I can convince the processor that I have authority from Shelly. Hopefully with her occupied the permissions will be easier to circumnavigate.
((

So I’m rolling hacking to trick the wormhole processors permissions into letting me use it’s quantum processor cycles to crack the encrypted connection. Quantum processors make encryption a joke, but they are locked down with more important work normally, and are too expensive to use on normal cracking work. But we have an unusual situation here where the capabilities of the ship are being misused and probably underprotected thanks to the saboteurs actions.

Also fyi, in cyberpunk at least being jacked in gave a major speed advantage compared to typing, which is why all the serious hackers did it. But typing is safer since you’re not wired in. Walcheck couldn’t afford actual implants (yet), but he does use virtual control, a decent deck, and a dermal connection, so less safe but should be faster. Still, Walcheck is a talented but inexperienced hacker, so if this guy is a pro the advantages might just cancel each other out.
Hacking roll to use quantum processor to crack the encrypted connection -> result = 1

Woot!

))

Jul 18

to Wraith
So ((This guy is not a pro, rolled a 3 and you did a great move!))

As you send the datastream through the condenser your Avatars center shifts and things get quieter.
You are now looking in at the ships system from what feels like a bubble a protected quantum system off the main grid. You are in an advantageous position!

Shel gave you same access she has to this system months ago to help stabilize the condenser’s algorithms after the last jump. She never revoked it.
You have full system access what do you do?

You’re looking down at the entire ship as if from above, like a god in a SIM game. You see the terminal the guys is accessing from, he’s an insect, but now you can see that this insect has poisoned the hive.

Systems are crashing, it’s ok now, but right now only you know that the ships system is basically about to crash leaving 1000 people on emergency life support, and the ship defenseless..main thrusters only..

Someone is also physically destroying ship systems, so he has an accomplice!
Jul 19

to GM

(( Sorry I took so long to respond, weekends are busy.

I had a question, are there any kind of security forces on the ship? ))

I’m surprised that Shel never revoked my access, it couldn’t of been an accident. She must really trust me. Shit, focus! So many things to do.

1) Stop the physical and data sabotage.
2) ID the attackers and who they are working for.
3) Save Shel. That’s it! Shel is the key. If she were back online everything else would be trivial. But I need to stop the data saboteur before I can wake her up.

I reroute the insects’ datastream into a virtual trap. I loop and randomize the last 10 minutes of feedback data into his readings so that he has no idea that his hack is about to be stopped. Once he’s reading the false data I stop his diagnostic on Shel and try to bring her online as fast as possible.

((

So basically I’m doing a hack version of the security tape loop trick in a bank heist movie. The idea is that he still thinks his hack is working while I’ve already woken up Shelly. I focus on Shel, she can restore the rest of the ship, faster than I could hope to. I figure she’s my best chance to save the ship and catch the saboteurs.

I’ll roll for this hack. Let me know if I need additional rolls.

Hacking to stealthily wake up Shelly -> http://orokos.com/roll/208356

Sweet another 1!

))
Jul 19

to Wraith
Your ruse works without as much as a slight stutter.

“AI online” the mechanical female voice says before adjusting “… Fuck! What happened? Why is my system falling apart? Oh ok. ” You see her parse the tertiary logs that run anytime you guys work on shit.

“Wal? What’s going on?”
Fear.
That’s not fake emotion.
“I’ll hold this together you have to do something! They are crippling us!! At this rate…” she let’s it trail off..
Jul 20

to GM

(( You never answered my question about security forces in the ship. I’ll assume there is a small force, correct me if I’m wrong. ))

“Don’t worry Shel, we’ll stop them together. There are at least two saboteurs on the ship, one on OpsA_Term16 trying to shut down vital systems, and at least one more physically damaging the ship, not sure if he’s still near the south side mess hall on level C.”

“I’ve tricked the hacker into thinking his hack is still active, make sure he doesn’t figure out the truth.” I send the virtual trap control to Shelly.

“Next, we need to ID these guys. Should be simple with the security logs, assuming they aren’t tampered with. We also need to figure out who they are working for, but that will have to wait.”

“We can’t send a Sec team to arrest the hacker until we catch the physical saboteur, we don’t want to tip him off.”

“Do you need my help with any of that Shel, or with repairing your systems, or should I head over to fix the physical sabotage now?” I watch her reactions and readings carefully, I may be asking too much.
(( Basically I’m asking Shel to manage the virtual trap, her repairs, and the spy IDs, while I do the physical fixes. I assume in her normal state that would be easy, but maybe she’s too damaged or unprepared for this situation to handle it all.

Let me know if I should make a perception or other kind of roll. ))
Jul 20

to Wraith
((You don’t need a perception roll!))

Shel shakes her head slowly.
“Walchek I .. don’t know how much longer…
hes gutting the ship…. losing it!”

More buildings falling and now the sky is falling. Green blue data collapsing all around everything below. Her avatar starts to lose definition. .

” I’ll be downloading myself. .. to the….here… to here. The quantum systems can hold me if I go plank…. I’ll leave a backup here if there is anything left….you should get out soon….”

Imagine you are standing somewhere when suddenly 23% of your peripheral view goes dark. .
Jul 21

to Wraith
The last bit she sends you before.gritting.her teeth to focus on her task, of trying to back herself up and keep the ship from going on life support is a picture… of Lomar
Jul 21

to GM
(( I’ll assume Shelly confirms. ))

“What? Lomar is one of the sabotuers? Is he still near the south side mess hall on level C?”

I wait for her confirmation before dumping out to GMatspace stop him. I grab my pistol slip it into my armored coat, and put a comm into my ear. I grab my wireless deck and tools as well. I open up a channel to Shelly.

“I’m headed over to the south side mess on level C now Shelly. I’ll stop Lomar, I promise.”

I run to the tube to Level C before it’s too late. Once on level C, I calm myself with a deep breath, and try to look casual as I speed walk to the south side, eyes on the lookout for Lomar.

Jul 21

to Wraith
Shel grits her teeth and nods as her avatar starts cycling through her saved avatars. Shes an officer, she’s a wallpanel, she’s pure data, herself, herself as a ninja, herself in a nighty… Wait Whaaat, she blushes and looks at you, clearly embarassed.
“He’s the one on the terminal!”
Her avatar goes to wallpanel then and stays there as you log out.

You walk out onto the deck, C. Plasteel at it’s best, the walls are adorned with large murals from idyllic colonies, happy folk probably jus’ smilin long enough for the picture.

The corridor leading to living quarters goes in a loop around the deck branching off to the left or right like a grid. Storefronts, addresses numbers on doors, terminals and benches.. The usual. The Laurel has a very high comfort factor anywhere you go on this boat is relaxing. But not now.

You feel the slight rumble and See the sublte flicker..

You look.around for a.second then see a part of the deck is cut.off, with a blaring red light, usually just a glitch but looking sinister now. The deck is.physically closed
Jul 21

to GM
Lomar’s the one on the terminal? Shit, that doesn’t help me ID other saboteur. Still, this level seems dead. Anyone on this level could be the saboteur.

“Shel, if you can hear me – Jam Lomar’s comms and send a sec team to arrest him, and another to back me up here. See if you can ID the saboteur on this level and send a picture to my vidcom.”

I run over to the closest of the failed sectors, eyes peeled for anyone around.

(( not sure if I can repair the sectors with my toolkit alone or if I need to get replacement parts first. If so, I get the parts first. ))

Jul 21

to Wraith
You get no reply from Shel at all.

It’s disconcerting. You hear security guy pass you and say ‘are comms down?’ to another security guy.. The lights flicker as you quickly bypass the door and panel.

As you pull the panel back you smelled the sickening odor of plastic and bio chips melting. Someone left some sort of acid device, that is eating away at everything.

The melting oozing wreck in front of you means you’re going to need parts to fix, but you can tell this is deliberately to break the ships main systems.

Jul 22

to GM
(( Damn, bad to worse. Ok so some questions:

Do each of the sectors need a separate fix, or are all the failed sectors contained in the melted section? Or is it something in between?
How long do I estimate it would take me fix this with the required parts, how long to get the parts?
How long do I think the ship will last at this rate (physically and virtually)?

I guess I need some help deciding if I should:
a) do the fixes
b) find the other saboteur or
c) find/interrogate/kill Lomar
d) find an escape pod / start an evacuation of the ship

Maybe there is a roll I could make to estimate this stuff, like mechanics and/or hacking and/or perception?

))

Jul 22

to Wraith
No this is just one sector, it’s this one panel, if the others are melted like this, you won’t be able to fix it without a team. The ship is screwed in about 3 hours if you can’t get people to fix this or if.you can’t get the.parts. Even if you get the replacement parts you need to work nonstop starting.now to fix.

You replace the wall panel ((or not)), at that moment casually walking past you is a security guy.

The young, head shaven man smiles and keeps walking
Jul 23

to GM
((

Sorry I’m being slow. To clarify: Each failed sector corresponds to a different location. So 24 total. This melted failed sector will take 3 hours to fix, if it’s started now. Is that right?

Do I know where to get parts? Are there other people I can contact qualified for this kind of repair?

Here is my guidance roll: result = 8
Here is a perception roll on the security guard: result = 4
His calmness seems odd compared to the first two security guys (paranoia ftw). Could he be the saboteur?

))

Jul 23

to Wraith
Perception roll shows you are indeed being paranoid, this guy is clueless probably just having gotten layed.

That 3 hours to fix all 24 bad sectors it’s akin to replacing ram.. If you had all 24 boards.

You see what they are doing now. It’s like a body whose organs are all cut off from each other. The whole system will die, but the individual parts can work and be manned.

You hear it then, the ships computer’s computer death cry. It’s fucking audible to you. Sounds like a wet modem connecting through water

You don’t know how you.heard.that or that you know exactly what it.is.
Jul 23

to GM
(( I can see Walcheck preferring to talk his way out of bad spots, so it makes sense. So something like “Walcheck has a silver tongue (d10)”, I’ll also keep “Awkward with women”, really that just means he isn’t smooth trying to pick up women romantically, not necessarily in all encounters with women.

lol at the getting laid line.

So from the sound of it, it sounds like fixing the ship or saving the computer is a lost cause. I don’t have the parts, or a team, or time really. With the saboteurs on the loose, dropping everything to fix this will just mean they break something else.

so this is my new list of priorities (can you tell I think in lists, weird isn’t it?)

a) find the other saboteur (may take time to find)
b) find/interrogate/kill Lomar (we know where he is, for now)
c) save the Shelly backup
d) find an escape pod / start an evacuation of the ship

))

I shake off the bone chilling sound of the computer’s death rattle. Did that just come in through my comm link? No time to figure it out.

I stare for a moment at the lump of slag that used to be sector 29. This will take hours to fix, and I don’t have the parts. No, I have to find the saboteurs, before they do even more damage.

“Wait.” I call to the smiling security officer. “You have to help me.” I lower my voice as he comes closer.

“There’s a saboteur running around this area, slagging these conduits, and another one just took out the computer. You have to help me find and stop them. We may need to evacuate the ship as well. Have you seen anyone messing with panels like these recently?” I look around myself as I speak to him, eyes open for anyone suspicious.

((
Fast talk to get smiling security to help me and tell me what he knows: result = 1
Observing the area on the off chance the saboteur is around: result = 4
))

Jul 23

to Wraith
The officer hears your tone, and understands you are not just fucking around or overreacting.
He quickly, goes over to the panel with you and visually confirms, as any good security guy would.
He tries the comms, but they are down.
“Walcheck you said?? Ok man I’m officer Ming lets get to the bridge!”

You hastily take off heading to the lift that goes to A deck. When you both turn the next corner, the ship is now noticeably rumbling as the inertial dampening field loses calibration.

A threatening flicker of the light and now the recently laid guard is double paced heading to the lift. People on the deck are looking around a little bit alarmed, and then you both see them!

It’s the saboteur, and he’s got 2 security guys with him. The Ming notices right away as do you that the sinister plan is still unfolding and probably bigger than you think!

Ming astutely waves to them and keeps moving. You guys enter the elevator and he sighs distractedly.

“what in the emperors name is going on? Let’s go straight to security. ”

He punches the floor, deck A, and you both move in unison as the doors open.

You get to security there is a hub bub. 50 officers are not reporting as they should, and 20 are missing. 2 have been found dead jammed into escape pods..

Ming tells you to.suit up and take any.equipment you need.

You’re in a military supply closet, heart beating fast.

Red alert goes off, security is now working in teams, to try and get this under control.
Jul 24

to GM
(( Was the saboteur with the security Lomar or the other one? Seems like the other one but I wanted to make sure. If so, do I recognize him? ))
I grab better armor w/ helmet, a better pistol and a security clearance chip. If they have anything like a better cyberdeck I take that too (though I would be surprised).

I tell Officer Ming what I know so far. “Lomar was on Level A, ops terminal 16, hacking the computer. He was taking out life support, navigation, targeting and weapon systems. I thought I had managed to stall him, but the computer is down now. Though the AI backup may be salvageable”

I take deep breath and continue. “The other saboteur was taking out multiple sector boards, trying to knock out ship system cohesion. I think they are trying to leave the ship defenseless but salvageable. I don’t know how many others there are.”

A sudden chilling thought dawns on me. “Could they be pirates or… Reavers?” **gulp**

Jul 24

to Wraith
((too organized for reavers! And yes you definitely recognize the guy you free can play poker with him. It’s Jay Meyers he’s a ship engineer))

there is not a full deck however there are pieces that you can turn into a very powerful deck. It would be about 10 pounds and you can put them all in a bag for later if needed.

The tension is mounting as 5 more dead officers are found!!

Security takes off in all directions with their orders they leave you to your own devices Ming tells you to be careful..
Jul 24

to Wraith
Not free – see
Jul 24

to GM
(( Do the security guy’s orders include going after Lomar and/or Jay? ))
Jul 24

to Wraith
((Yes and the guards with Jay, also people are heading to every department and should be checking back here in an hour))
Jul 24

to GM

I put my pistol, jacket, and tools into the bag, along with the new deck parts and sling that over my shoulder after putting on my new security guard armor and helmet. I put my Deck into and easily accessible part of the bag. I slip my new pistol into the security holster.
Time to save Shelly.

(( I’m assuming I can download her backup onto my deck. If not I’ll find hardware I can use first. Then I head over to where she said her backup would be, since I assume I can’t do this via the network.))
Jul 24

to Wraith
The ship is huge, there are about 55 thousand people on board.
It will take a bit to get over to the other end of the ship and into engineering. The comms are down, you hope all the lifts are active..

They should be they have their own maint. crew, and power and would make travel through the ship nearly impossible.

She’s in the quantum tunnel circuitry probably backed up straight to GMmory. You’ve never seen one before, no less it’s actual controlling terminal, the prospect of going up to it and interfacing with it is actually like someone looking at niagra falls for the first time.

Immense.

Make a roll at this point for your luck through the ship. 50/50 chances to get there unnoticed.

Pls roll a d12

Jul 24

to GM
http://orokos.com/roll/209704
Result = 6
Jul 24

to Wraith
Halfway through the ship, you see that people are starting to panic. No comms and the rumble doesn’t stop.

No email and everyone is out in the large spacious hallways..

Nearing engineering on A deck you stop seeing that there are 2 guards positioned to the entrance blocking people from entering.
Jul 25

to GM
(( sorry for the late post, stayed up late last night playing the new Destiny beta on xbox360. It’s pretty cool, kind of like Phantasy Star Online crossed with Halo.
Ok so some questions:

1) Do I recognize either of these guards from the group I saw by the supply closet?
2) Were any of the dead security guys mentioned before found without their equipment?
3) Can I use any of my hacking skills w/ my wireless deck in the ships current state? In other words does a dead computer + comms mean no hacking at all, or could I do simple things like opening doors or using local speakers? Hopefully that question makes sense. I’m sort of wondering if the computer being dead means that only higher comp functions like the VRnet or email are offline or all electronic functionality is out. For example, do the doors still open with some kind of electronics or do they need to be manually opened for example.

))
I hide behind a bulkhead to try to get a closer look at the two security guards. Considering Jay’s security escort, determining which side these two are on only makes sense.
((

Perception to determine security guards loyalties: result = 5

Let me know if I need a stealth roll or something. Stealth is probably a skill I should have had, considering Walcheck’s background. Though I did get away from the general thief idea I had initially had to focus on hacking… oops!

))

Jul 26

to Wraith
1. Nope
2. You didn’t hear that detail
3. Yes only individual systems, like you interface the doors when you get close enough but then you have to log out of the doors and get into the camera nearby.

These guys are Not kosher…
Jul 27

to GM
(( I took the liberty of taking a stealth skill at d12, hope that’s OK. ))

I take out my wireless deck and hack into the local alarm system, setting off the life support failure alarm.

((
Hacking to trip the life support failure Alarm – > http://orokos.com/roll/210189
Result = 2

I’m thinking of something similar to a fire alarm though more dangerous. Assuming these guys have some clue that Lomar is messing with the Life Support systems, I’m hoping they take it even more seriously than most would. Once they flee the hall, I’m going to lock down the door behind them as well. To be clear I’m not locking myself into engineering, I’m locking them out of this hallway.
))
Jul 27

to Wraith
While you are logged into the local alarm system, and set off the life support failure, you are suddenly aware of fragments of external packets spilling in and out of the system.

You quickly deduce they are using a scrambled multi access algorithm to login to each system and send a small bit of thier conversation.

The guards do not move and actually are met by 5 more random people and they head into the engine room with grim looks..

You hear someone say, “Time already?”
“guess so but it might be a glitch. Lomar said watch out for glitches, might be in the systems. Heads up ”

They all pull weapons and start filing in, leaving the resortlike serenity of the command deck to the grease and subatomic particle filled engineering section.
Jul 28

to GM
Shit, did I just give them the go ahead signal, instead of the run away signal? Fuck.

What the hell do I do now? Two against one was bad enough, but two against seven is goddamn suicide. But I can’t just leave Shelly to these… animals. Hopefully they’re not here for Shelly, they’re here for something else. Still… they’re here.

I hesitate, each moment making an escape sound more reasonable. NO. I’m no fucking coward.

My hand trembles enough to almost drop my Deck as I place it back into my bag. I swallow the bile creeping up my throat as I silently make my way toward the entrance to Engineering.
((
I’m assuming I waited long enough for them to get ahead of me, but I’ll roll Stealth just in case.

Stealthily making my way to Shelly -> result = 6
))

Jul 28

to GM
(( lol “two against seven” should be “seven against one” ))

Jul 28

to Wraith
You slip in behind them being stealthy.

Luckily they have jobs to do breaking off four different directions.

Only one of them seem to be heading when you want to go.

Main quantum memory junction.

The guy who went that way is a grisly beast of a man, unkempt black beard with the build of a ‘biker.
Jul 28

to GM
I creep behind the behemoth, considering my options. I could shoot him, but that would just give me away to the others. I could try to knock him out with the autospanner from my toolkit, but his skull looks thick enough to laugh it off.

No, instead I’m going to convince him that Lomar sent me here, to download something out of memory before the Beast does whatever he’s here for.

I pitch my voice low, annoyed and impatient. “Hurry it up, willya? Lomar sent me down here on something top priority. Let’s go.”

(( Fast-talk to convince the beast that I’m here on Lomar business -> result = 6 ))

Jul 30

to Wraith
“uuh I don’t remember you from any meetings, Lomar told you to come here? Ok!!”
He motions you past him with a military gesture.

He quickly gets into position behind the door, and drops his massive bulk to one knee, aiming down his sight at whoever may come disturb you.
((sorry man been uuber busy, so much work!))

Jul 31

to GM
It worked? It worked. Holy shit. Adrenaline keeps my jaw from dropping. I scan the area casually, then head over to the quantum tunnel controlling terminal.

Play it cool Wraith, no big deal, breathe. You hack quantum tunnels in your VRsleep, right? I fight the urge to swallow nervously as I prepare to interface.
What’s that saying? When you’re going through Hell, keep going.

Ok then, let’s go. ** click **
((
No problem dude!

Hacking Niagara Falls -> result = 8
Ohhh shit!
))

Aug 1

to Wraith
The quantum space of a condenser is way more dense than you anticipated. You enter what feels like a stuffy room, heavy with smoke and steam.
It’s hard to see in here.
SHIT
You are lost in a labrynth breathing in what feels like harsh chemicals with every breath.

You can’t find her!!

Minutes pass..
Aug 2

to GM

Too much data… Can’t breathe…

I can’t suppress that racking coughs. It feels like my lungs are bleeding.

I concentrate for a moment, and a dampener mask appears over my head, filtering out the toxic info-cloud.

I can finally think clearly again. A score of probedarts appear, scattering in all directions.

Dammit, so much time wasted. I need to find Shelly before it’s too late.

((
Let’s try again, Hacking Niagara 2 -> http://orokos.com/roll/211583
Result = 8

WTF!
))
Aug 2

to Wraith
You find her! !! Oh fuck. . This will take an hour to download. She’s compressed to plank scale, but still large. You can start the download, but you just triggered system alarms that will tie you to this whole thing. Also it’s been 10 minutes!
Aug 2

to GM

(( OK, I’m assuming that since the systems are all disconnected and the main computers are down, I still have a chance to keep my name off the net, so I’m going to try to kill the system alarms and scrub my ident info.

One question, I assume I can do other Hacking stuff, like look at local cameras, while the download runs, but do I need to stay interfaced, or can I logoff and be in meatspace and let the download still run? Let me know if my assumptions are off. ))
I finally find Shel’s compressed packages. I rush to kick off the download process, and manage to trigger a permission denied alarm. Fuck, the info overload must still have me scrambled to be making all these rookie mistakes.

That’s when I see my name on the alarm. I never masked my ID when I interfaced. Shitshitshit.

I scramble, spoofing admin authority to kill the alarm and wipe the logs with my Ident info.

Maybe try not to think about the Beast or his pals pointing huge guns in your face while you shit all over yourself like an amateur.

(( Hacking Niagara 3 -> http://orokos.com/roll/211634
Result = 6
))

Aug 4

to Wraith
Pressure is on as the minutes pass..finally you get stable throughput and breathe, shel needs 5 meat minutes to download to your gear. You can get out now finally. Back to GMat space.
Aug 4

to GM
(( If I can’t check out the cameras in engineering or do any other kind of hacking to GMss with the pirates in here, I’ll just log out. ))

Aug 4

to Wraith
In its current state each system is isolated so you have to go in to GMat space to get to the cameras.
Aug 4

to GM
(( Ok I log out then. ))

Aug 4

to GM
(( OK I’m assuming that the ‘freedom fighters’ message already played on the loudspeakers. I’m also assuming that the download is complete by now, since you suggested me packing up my gear in the middle of my stammering excuse. If the AI download is not complete I’ll keep stalling, implying that I’m still downloading my stolen data. ))

My eyes go wide with the (pretended) slow realization that the situation is much bigger than I realized.

“L-l-l-listen Lomar, I don’t want any trouble. I didn’t realize what was going on! I just came down here when the shit started hitting the fan. I’m just trying to scrape some sellable data off the processor before I head for an escape pod. I didn’t think anyone would notice, you know? I spent all my creds just getting a ticket onto this boat man. A guy’s gotta eat, right?”

I collect my deck and shove it into my bag as I talk, mouth moving a mile a minute. I start backing away towards the door.

“I’ll get out of your hair right now, I promise. No problems from me man.”

(( Fast talk Lomar -> result = 6 ))

Aug 5

to Wraith
He looks at you cold for a second but then it slowly softens. You can almost see the last poker game you played with him in his eyes.
He know’s you when you bluff, but you are actually freaked out, so he believes you completely. He lowers the gun and says.. “Hey man.. Please don’t get in the way… If I ever approach you just have something.ready.to.hand over.. Oh and don’t take the pod.. You’re still 2 weeks out by pod…wanna play poker again one da~~”
He’s cut off by a boom and ship rocking, “showtime” he says and is.off
Aug 5

to GM
I let out the breath I had been inadvertently holding after Lomar exits. I grab a loose datadisk in case I run into Lomar again and need to hand him something.

Now I need to survive this attack. I need to find a location I can secure where I can examine, and possibly sabotage, the pirate communication stream.

I know, I’ll head to an engineering storeroom.

(( I’m blatantly stealing your spy on their comms idea. I’m looking for a storeroom I can lock that has computer access. But I can’t stay here, in case they come back. ))

Aug 5

to Wraith
Roll.for.making it to.the storeroom
Aug 6

to GM
((
Getting to the storeroom (1d12) – > http://orokos.com/roll/212397
Result = 11
))
Aug 6

to Wraith
Gotta do a longish reply, need a few hours
Aug 6

to GM
(( lol no doubt, I’ll be here not breathing. ))

 

to GM
Some comments –

In Greek the letters go. Alpha Beta Gamma etc. So I assumed the powers would be Prime (d4), Alpha (d6), Beta (d8), Gamma (d10), Delta (d12), Epsilon, (d20), Zeta (d30), and null (no psi).
You mentioned I was Prime in one, Alpha in another, and Gamma in the last, but also specified d4, d6, and d8. So I wanted to know if I should be d8 or d10 in my weakest psi area.

For the specific powers, I noticed that there were 9 in mental, 7 in physical, and 10 in metaphysical. Might be good to equalize them. You could separate the electro/pyro/hydro kinesis, which would make it nine.

What do these abilities do?:
Mind Link
Awareness Enhanced
Bio-Feedback (both)
Energy Field Manipulation
Aura Reading
Psychic Entity Physiology
Psychic Navigation
Religious Healing
Omniscience
What are the differences in these abilities?:
In some cases they seem to be synonyms or at least indistinguishable in their effect, if not in how they work.

Belief Inducement || Emotion Manipulation || Memory Hypnosis/Mind Control
Telekinesis/Tactile Telekinesis || Psychic Constructs
Clairvoyance || Divination || Prescience

Attachments area
Preview attachment Walcheck
Google Docs
Walcheck
Aug 9

to Wraith
You are hiding when you feel the nausea hit.. Followed by a sickening level of power. You’re literally sick.

If he didn’t feel the surge next to him, he feels your mind, and he hears your wretch.

You clean your mouth, he puts three guys down.. Crushes the last one.

Your eyes lock..

<jbouzakis@gmail.com>
Aug 10

to GM
(( Hey man, I made one last minute update to my sheet, as you can see I went for all the mind fuckery at max and also went for teleportation + energy control. Jedi Nightcrawler , mwahaha.

I’m going to assume that I have mind control at D6 right now and nothing else psionically. ))

I feel the psycho psionic’s thoughts invading my mind, crushing it, when something snaps and comes loose. No, he’s not invading my mind. I’m invading his.

I see a ghostly alien arm, impossibly long, with hundreds of fingers, hovering over him like a demonic puppet master. Each finger attached to a thin silvery thread, each thread attached to a muscle nerve, synapse or memory. I know what they all do, what I can make him do.

“Bedtime, asshole.”

((

Mind control to put him into a DEEP coma-like sleep -> http://orokos.com/roll/213469
Result = 5

))
Aug 12

to Wraith
The two guards look at you stunned. One of them vomits, after he just put a hole through this Alpha’s head. He’s not vomiting due to gore. He’s a minor telepath as well as aura reader.

Your aura is making him totally nauseated, by its immense power. The ship rocks. Something is docking. Large by the feel of it attaching.

They look at each other and both holster their weapons. They look at you nervous.. Waiting..
Aug 12

to GM
(( I’m assuming we have one security guard and one rebel for survivors. ))
I only allow myself a moment to wonder if I should stop the Mad Alpha’s execution. The shattered bodies in his wake put an end to those thoughts.

What the fuck is happening, I just fucking rooted that Alpha’s brain. The nearness of that crushing, immense power still has me shivering. I see my own fear reflected in the eyes of the two survivors. I try to pull back this phantom limb, but I can’t. As soon as I glance at one of them it’s back. It hovers over them, waiting for my merest curiosity to set it loose on their will.

I clear my throat and force a smile on my face. “Whew, that was close, eh?”

My eyes shift to the rebel. As does the phantom limb, silvery strings taut with anticipation. “So friend, mind telling me what you rebels are planning?”

I have every intention of letting him speak for himself, of falling back into my old habits. The alien limb has other ideas, and the twang of a thread in his mind sends the truth, all of it, tumbling out.
I think I’m going to throw up again.
(( Mind control to get the truth out -> result = 6 ))

Aug 12

to Wraith
He gets very animated

“Oh we’re just going to turn this into a rebel battleship and fight the alliance!!
You know so everyone can eat and have the option to leave the rat race, ya know!?”

The other guy gets all animated too, though. Shit. Somethings wrong..
Your own power.. It’s so strong!!!
“Hey! I have debt too!! Can I swap sides?”

“Sure I’m Rehar Orion-lee, let’s go!”
Shit eating grin.

You start getting excited yourself. You really want to join their cause too!!
((you have.to beat a 6 with a d4 so no need to roll))
You quickly shake it off and realize it was just you, you don’t necessarily want to join the rebels..

They take off to finish commandeering the ship.

You’re in the bloody corridor, brain pounding.

Roll.vs d4
Aug 12

to GM
(( 1d4 check – > http://orokos.com/roll/213881
result = 3
))
Aug 13

to GM
((
after hearing a little more of the Rebel plan, Walcheck is having second thoughts about what to do.

Can you tell me more about the rebel group and it’s beef with the alliance?

Also I’m looking over the gear on the dead, to see if there is anything worth taking. I’m taking any credchips, decks or deck parts, and any decent pistols, and the cleanest or most armored browncoat. Not sure if I’ll wear it or stash it yet.

Knowledge of the rebel group – > http://orokos.com/roll/213975
result = 4

Loot observation – > http://orokos.com/roll/213976
result = 3

))
Aug 14

to GM

As the two men skip out the corridor, hand in hand, my eyes scan the dead. Years growing up starving in the shadows of the New York Arcologies have made me an unrepentant scavenger. I swipe credchips, military comms, and a nice pistol. I wipe the prints off my pistol and leave it.

The routine is comforting, and for a moment I forget the strange power pulsing in my temples. Psionics. How is this possible? Weren’t the psiexams foolproof? It’s been years since my childhood fantasies of shaking off the stigma of Null. But even those dreams were modest in comparison. I made that TK sleep in an instant, it was easy. This is some Alpha level shit, no joke.

I snap photos of the victims, in case I need to ID them later. Then I grab the cleanest browncoat that will fit. Never know if you might need a disguise.

I find the engineering storeroom I’m looking for, and lock the door behind myself.

What to do now? After hearing the rebel plans I’m less certain about getting in the middle of this. I’ve got no loyalty to the Alliance beyond this ship being my ride. Still, I’m not sure if Shelly would appreciate being commandeered into a battleship.

Well it can’t hurt to tap into the hidden Rebel comm network, get a better idea of what’s going on. After that, I think I’ll use these new parts to make a combat deck. Hehe this is going to be sweet.

((
Hack Rebel hidden algorithm comms – > http://orokos.com/roll/214377
Result = 1

Build a combat deck – > http://orokos.com/roll/214378
Result = 8

I’m using the deck parts from the security room, the military comms, and some of the security armor to make it tougher. If I have to I will also sacrifice my current deck, but I’d rather not, in case I fuck up. Also I’m assuming I can install the AI quantum jump drive without a problem later since it’s a jump drive, I don’t want to risk trashing Shelly with a botched mechanics roll.
))
Aug 15

to Wraith
Ha these algorithms are easy to decode. You set up a local array that pings out to 6 hops and you have a decent perimeter. You picked a room that is mainly storage so none bother you.
Your hear people passing. Some giving orders, some reporting in. They have the ship locked down and are now moving to phase 2. Phase. Two from what you gather is drop the people off while moving in the new crew..

The deck however is too freaking big.
Like a kids school desk meant never to leave the classroom.
Shel is online and helping you keep perimeter.
You fill her in and she seems sad about the loss of her body, she’s getting used to all the decompressed space once the quantum drives are mounted. She has the resources of a small datacloud at her disposal.

Your mind is raw. You feel like you just discovered a cave in your childhood backyard, and boy is it deep.

The announcement system sends out departure schedules, and maps as to how to properly exit from the ship. Apparently they even have shuttle buses for those needing to go to the original landing zone.
Aug 15

to GM
(( Assuming I want to leave the ship, do I have time to reconfigure the deck to be mobile? If not, can I strip it for parts and exit with the parts and Shelly back on the jump drive? ))

Aug 15

to Wraith

((Yeah man you have another 2 days… however you are hungry and have to piss))

Aug 15

to GM
“What do you want to do Shel? If you want to stay with the Rebels and the ship, I can try and reinstall you.”

My stomach start to gurgle when I realize that I haven’t eaten or pissed since this whole mess began. I take off the bulkiest parts of the security armor and put on the browncoat, after cleaning it up a bit. I search through the id chips I nabbed and find one for one of the rebels. Mikail Al’Haram.

“Shelly, please anonymize these credchips and swap in my biometrics into Mikail’s ID. Also update our engineering storeroom lock to 2194401.” I pop in the earbud to my communicator and pipe in the Rebel comm feed at low volume. Shel can contact me using this while I’m out.

“Shelly, what’s the quickest route to a FoodVend and a bathroom that avoids running into anyone? I’m starving.”

(( Let me know if I should roll anything since I’m having Shel do these things. I figure she can guide me, but I may be assuming too much. ))

Aug 18

to Wraith
She gives you a withering look for asking, then looks a little awkward for a sec before, growling, “No thanks…” She let’s it hang there.

Then your stomach growls- a few minutes later, newly updated ID as well as rebel bank acct. (Roll 1d6x1000 UC – universal credits) are ready.
When you open the door of the room you are hiding out in you see the pic below. .

More coming must nap

Aug 19

to Wraith
You quickly and easily navigate through the hallways. Shelly’s doing a great Job of simultaneously guiding you and making minor light flashes and malfunctions to make your path unnoticed.

You get to the Alpha Deck – Aft side Vend machine and are surprised to see it still fully stocked.
Even though the computer’s backbone is down, things are still functioning on schedules, until it breaks down, from lack of AI coordinations.

The food all but pours out as you approach. The cylindrical vend machine opens both it’s doors and lets it’s claw like grip go slack as all types of goodies fall about the floor..

Aug 19

to GM
(( I don’t see a pic in either of the last two emails, fyi. ))

My mouth waters at all the grub spilling out of the FoodVend. I quickly shovel a chocostick into my mouth as I stuff my bag and pockets to the brim.

I whisper into my comm to Shelly. “Shel, you’re a lifesaver. Where do I head for the bathrooms?”

((Credits roll -> http://orokos.com/roll/215190
result = 6

Assuming I make it back to the engineering storeroom I’ll start working on fixing the superdeck to be mobile. I’ll roll now since your text made it sound like we’re safe.

I’ve been thinking about what I’ll do once we disembark. I think Walcheck is concerned/excited about his newfound Psi ability, so I wanted to do a knowledge check about where people go for psionic training, both within the alliance and without. Walcheck is primarily interested in non-alliance training, since he isn’t interested in getting drafted into the alliance military, though any info is interesting.

Making the superdeck mobile – > http://orokos.com/roll/215236
result = 5

Psionic training knowledge – > http://orokos.com/roll/215237
result = 7

))
Aug 28

to Wraith
Dude is this the last email you got from me???
I dont see my reply on this thread so I’m guessing I lost it!!
Aug 28

to Wraith
Your food enhanced mind boots up, bringing with it ideas and new life to your deck project.
It’s so insane. Funny, So much has happened you are psionic, the ship is being hijacked. . And still you’re coding and making your tech come to life.

Out here Out in the expanse of space, away from civilization, you have no clue where to even start looking for training. In fact you’re knowledge of this side of space is limited.

The ‘rebel’ colonies as far as you know are, controlled by the independence faction. Parliament is basically the puppet of blue moon corporation, and is like every government controlled by a corp. Good thing is out here it’s usually too far away to invest money persuing any leads at all.

Many of the mining colonies out here (12 in all) are pretty large and are still controlled by the Alliance at least on the surface.

The reputation is one lawlessness and Frontier mindset. Especially with the colonies of Innana, and Helios 7. The alliance holds no sway there.

You’re knowledge out here is based on stories and people who live with you on the ship here.

After a few hours your thick pda sized quantum deck is ready! This thing is like an Alienware with the processor of a small spaceship. It’s bulky for a portable deck, as thick as a 2 stack of playing cards like a 5 inch tablet in size.
Aug 28

to GM
(( Hehe, yeah dude I didn’t want to bug you since I figured life was swamping you. Glad it was just technical difficulties! 🙂 ))

I barely stifle my maniacal laughter as I bring the quantum beauty to life. Still, without Network access it’s power is limited. Speaking of the Network, not being able to bring it up on a whim has made my lack of decent schooling much more painful. I’m realizing now how out of my element I’ll be once I step out onto the frontier…

It’s got to be better than staying on a commandeered Rebel Battleship though, right?
I study the Rebels departure schedule and the ‘proper exit’ maps they’ve provided. I get suggestions from Shel about some ‘alternate exits’ that they shouldn’t know about. Best to stay under the radar, just in case they aren’t as keen about letting me leave as the rest of the passengers.

After remembering an old Holovid about Psionics, I decide to explore my abilities using meditation. Thankfully, Shelly wakes me up after my attempt at mind expansion instead leads to GMcatching up on some much-needed sleep.

Aug 28

to GM
(( So to be clear, when it’s time to disembark, I’m going to do so secretly using one of the alternate exits Shelly knows about. Let me know if you need a roll. ))

Aug 31

to GM
Perception roll – > http://orokos.com/roll/217967
result = 1

Aug 31

to Wraith
You and Shel work out a plan that is covered from almost every possible angle. While the primary disembarking protocols are active and everyone is distracted, you will be gently dropping 10 feet to the ground behind the terestrial landing gear.
The path she chose was almost perfect. You tweak it last minute on a paranoid hunch and strap all of your gear together.

The day finally comes. Shit you have been waiting for years for this, but there is a blanket of fear as this escape looms. The last few hours tick by your heart in your chest.
You just know they have more telepaths you can literally feel it now close to the planet yet not bound up by the atmosphere and magnetic field.

Shel notices and sets the quantum timing to 10×10 to the negative 8th and you spend what feels like a month on a colony simulation she saved. The colony is Peragus and no where near here. This simulation is idyllic and 2 days before you exit
Aug 31

to Wraith
2 days before you exit there is a party and Shel is definitely hitting on you.

You exit the simulation and feel rested, happy and a little frustrated lol.

It’s showtime and you go. (Anything before we proceed)
Aug 31

to GM
The plan looks great, but I can’t hide my jitters. The virtual vacation helps take the edge off. I can see how some rich folk become virtaddicts, you get to live a customized life while hardly aging. Dangerous stuff. Speaking of which, Shel’s interest is flattering and disconcerting at the same time. Not really sure how to handle it. I guess I’ll do what I do best and play dumb until I figure it out.

During our vacation I tell Shel about my new ability, and my plans for the immediate future. I want to try and learn more about this power, but I can’t trust the alliance. I’m also going to need to find some place with good network access, since hacking is about the only way I know to make some money.

I’m tempted to try and grab more valuables before leaving the ship, but that’s probably asking for trouble. I stick to the plan and head out when the time comes.
Sep 1

to Wraith
You make perfect timing your plan being flawless. You thought of everything!

The air on the surface is clean and pure. Tastes sweet to you, with the scents of local flowers invading your nostrils.

You’re out of sight right now but you see 10 armed guards corralling the people out of the ship to a large holding pen.. like cattle. They are about 200 feet away.

You are as a dot against the backdrop of the ship, huge in this dry desert plain heat. Noone got a signal out so the Indies are running the show..you see 4 vehicles and about 30 other armed men here..
2 vehicles are local sand skimmers, one an mining mech and the other a fancy although dirt covered hover limo. They are spread out, patrolling the huge ship.

There are rocks and hills to the north. There are plains to the east west and south. Somewhere southwest of your location lies the city of Alkavia.

To make things worse. This whole thing with Shel is disconcerting. She needs some friends…
Sep 1

to GM

I duck low behind the landing gear to keep out of sight. In my head a laundry list of gear I need is piling up.

An FTL ship I can pilot by myself (or with Shelly’s help) . Why be tied down to one planet, right?
Smartbinocs, because I could really use them right now.
Active cammo, for the same reason, I’ll feel really exposed if I step away from the ship.

Anyway, the shopping list will have to wait, this seems all kinds of wrong. A holding pen? Are they keeping them there until the shuttle arrives, or is something more fucked up going on?

I power on the Quantum deck to see if I can get a signal to the global network, or more likely, the local network connecting the rebel’s gear and comms.

(( So right now I’m trying to figure out two things, what the rebel plan for the passengers really is, and an escape route. I’m thinking of hijacking one of the speeders to the city, possibly after creating havoc for a distraction with a virus infected mech. I’m leaning toward just bouncing, but my conscience and curiosity won’t let me go until I know what going on. Let me know if I should roll perception and/or Hacking if a network is available.

Also a setting question, do single person ftl ships exist, or perhaps bigger ships that Shel and I could handle, but would normally need a small crew? If not np, just curious. ))

AttachmentsSep 2

to Wraith
As you fomulate your plan, you quickly feel something wrong with your quantum computer. Yep.
Time isn’t moving so much. You look around and realize your mind has been quickly and summarily engaged.

A man materializes out of the ether, but you know this is not really happening. He walks towards you smiling and starts to speak.

He looks like a black haired ninja, but he opens his mouth and it’s Seth Rogan. Like from pineapple express.

“Hey man, i wasnt gunna bug you but, you’re distracting me and Johanatan. I’m Ryder by the way. Look we can hear you thinking. It’s ok happens to everyone but please don’t start hijacking stuff, man?

I’m going to level with you. You have a decent bounty but I gotta ask did you Just get your psi? Dude! Stop that! You’re projecting!! (@ what you were probably thinking)
Look I work with the independents but I have a kinda brotherhood – like feeling to my psi people..
You need to head north. There’s a town called Haggerty there next to a river and Haggerty Dunes. Can’t miss it! There’s a psi outreach center there. Don’t let the name fool you. .

Listen we don’t have any vehicles to spare and we aren’t going to hurt these sheeople, please don’t rob us man!? Psi ‘ shouldn’t fight psi.. we gotta you know look out for each other”
His eyes show that he’s smiling and sincere. He then opens himself psionically to you to read his mind, gesturing to his forehead.
If u read him he is 100% sincere.

.?.?
Attachments area
Preview attachment Black_Kakashi_Icon_by_maddogg91.jpg
Image
Black_Kakashi_Icon_by_maddogg91.jpg
Sep 2

to GM
I do scan Ryder, almost more for the experience than anything else. Anyone willing to go through that is either telling the truth or is so powerful a psionic that I couldn’t tell the difference anyway. I also grab some useful bits of info while I’m in there, like the local landmarks, as well as anything I can find on psionics.

“Thanks Ryder, I owe you one. I’ll do that. Oh and ah… sorry about the projecting.”

I start heading north, trying to avoid the notice of the rebel camp. The shock of the encounter with Ryder leaves me reeling, and it’s minutes before I remember the word bounty. Shit.

Then I remember the projecting thing and start practicing keeping my thoughts to myself.

((
So assuming I’m not stopped I’ll head to the psi center on foot, practicing my anti-projecting. I’ll also see what I can find out on my bounty. Depending on how tough it would be to clear my name via Hacking I may have to start using an alias and change my appearance.

Let me know if I should roll stealth, psionics of some kind, knowledge or Hacking.
))
Sep 3

to GM
I realize I only have a vague notion of how I should get to Haggerty. I try and correlate the landmarks in from Ryder’s head with what I see around me, but it’s not enough. I have Shel use her insystem nav data along with the local network metadata to point us in the right direction.

((
anti-projection -> result = 6
navigation knowledge -> result = 2
))

Sep 4

to Wraith
“Hey.. they have a 2 techs manning the satellites, but I was able to skim the Metadata and get us a location…it’s a 4 hour walk to the town.”

With her guiding you, you trudge on.
The heat starts to get stifling after the first hour. You’re thirsty and hungry but are making a great pace.

After two hours you feel eyes on you and can smell the danger!
You’re being followed somehow on this barren plain, nothing but sparse bushes and sand..
Sep 5

to GM
I try and play dumb. I look like I’m just rifling through my bag for a chocostick, in reality I’m making sure my rebel pistol is locked, loaded, and within reach.

I do eat the chocostick though, I’m starving.

((

I’ll try a perception roll to figure out where the danger is coming from.

Perception on the barren plain -> result = 3

))

AttachmentsSep 5

to Wraith
As soon as you notice him he’s running towards you, grinning evilly!! His swords glint menacingly!
Attachments area
Preview attachment desert_warrior_2_by_suc_of-d6xlona.jpg
Image
desert_warrior_2_by_suc_of-d6xlona.jpg
Sep 5

to GM
(( ooh shit! ))

I pull the pistol on him reflexively, but my mind is really on the alien puppet-strings hovering over him, snapping into focus.

“Sorry about your bounty, but it’s nap time now.” The pistol shakes in my human hand, betraying my fear. My other hand pulls the familiar strings to put him to sleep.

(( Mind control, sleep – > http://orokos.com/roll/219192
Result = 5
))
Sep 6

to Wraith
The strings snap… so fragile. He’s a cyborg!
The ones you snapped were ghost strings you need to do it one more time!
(Different mod of -2)
He barrels at you, rolling to shoot (6)
and hits your shoulder for minor damage. He’s aiming to disarm you, you can read it from his half mechanical mind.
Sep 6

to GM
Pain flashes in my shoulder. Thanks to the armored browncoat the bullet doesn’t penetrate, but it still hurts like hell. I barely manage to hold onto my pistol.

I raise my free left hand, fingers bent like a puppeteer. “Sleeeeep.” I whisper through gritted teeth.

(( a cyborg? Sweet. Was that his face or a mask, because if it’s a mask I’m taking it 🙂

If the sleep works can I try to read his mind?

Mind control, sleep 2 – > http://orokos.com/roll/219223
Result = 1
))
Sep 10

to Wraith
In slow motion like a metallic rag doll, hands still on the swords he brandished.

He seems to tumble for an hour, it’s at the same time almost comical and sad.

Sad because you see his head go at that angle and you know he’s going to need a medic. As he tumbles and tumbles, his mask does indeed fly off revealing a head, scarcely covered with flesh.

The dust settles. .
Sep 10

to GM
(( Great talking to you today. I changed my mind about the mask, I leave it, don’t want to get mistaken for this guy. ))

So after raiding the raider for his quantum minichip, a pistol, a vibroknife, some valuable tech, credits, and a hovercar, I head towards the psi outreach center. Hopefully posting anonymously about the recent demise of the cyborg raider and the location of his stashhouse will get the place picked clean before whoever created him can collect any evidence on me.

After Orion lets me into the outreach center psi-proof room, he asks me why I’m here.

“I’d been a Null until about 3 days ago. I crossed paths with a powerful Telekinetic on a rampage, and somehow the encounter brought this ability out in me. I can control people, like some kind of puppeteer, and I can read minds as well. I’m also inadvertently projecting my thoughts to anyone sensitive enough to read them.

I don’t know anything about these abilities, or how to control them. Another psionic pointed me here, can you help me?”

Sep 11

to Wraith
Orion levels a gaze at you. He’s measuring you up, taking in what you said.

“OK. ” he says simply and shrugs.
His stocky build makes him look like a bulldog in his brown jeans and shirt.

He waves a hand and 6 ninjas run in guns out…. j/k

He waves a hand and on queue;
A slender red haired woman wearing glasses and a lab coat walk in.
Her red thick hair is pulled back in a tight ponytail. She’s hot in a plain librarian way.

In you mind you hear very very loudly
‘CAN YOU HEAR ME’
Sep 11

to GM
(( oh god ninjas everywhere ))

I flinch as the mental voice is jarringly loud. ‘YES.’ I try to think back to her.

(( If that doesn’t work I’ll stammer out a y-yes, since hot women in the flesh make Walcheck’s charm evaporate. ))

Sep 11

to Wraith
Roll email!
Sep 11

to GM
(( Sorry I should’ve realized that needed a roll
telepathy on redhead -> result = 2
))

Sep 11

to GM

((
Psi mental – > http://orokos.com/roll/220682
Result = 2

Psi physical – > http://orokos.com/roll/220683
Result = 2

Psi metaphysical – > http://orokos.com/roll/220684
Result = 1
))
Sep 12

to Wraith
She flinches when you reply, and instinctively covers her ears as if an invisible loud subwoofer just went off.

She and Orion exchange a glance filled with subtext you miss.
Her name is Ronda Salloy and she stays with you in this room for the night. She explains that your broadcasting could be picked up by the imperial sniffers that patrol the city, just waiting to pick up the unregistered.

After she teaches you how not to broadcast it’s easy for you. You leave the room the next morning and after a filling planetside breakfast you meet a dozen more people. You are tested all day, nothing intrusive.. Henry the broad shouldered Metaphysical alpha, is the last person you meet.

You are in a cozy room with a short ceiling- almost claustrophobic feel, if not for the 3 lush couches, fancy decorating and snacks.

Henry just finished a seance, you saw a ghost and it was cool.
The tests were stage but you aced them. At least you think so based on people’s reactions.
The last test before meeting Henry had almost 30 people watching and they cheered at the end.

Henry sips his tea and then looks up from his bushy eyebrows seriously and says. You start to hear a low volume high pitch whine
“Sorry for all of this today but we had to know..it’s not everyday you meet someone like you. .” Louder now..
“You are a special man.. you have been given a chance to do things most men can’t. .you are a Prime.”

Silence..

Sep 12

to GM
The day goes by in a blur. Prime… it’s hard to accept. Like being unable to walk and suddenly being told you belong in the Olympics. I’m thankful for all the help they’re giving me, but I feel exposed, out of my element. Like I’m at a hacker convention with an unencrypted Deck. They’re making me feel like some kind of celebrity, but is that part of the con?

No, they’re right, something is going on. Even knowing nothing about Psi, I knew what I was doing was nuts. Shutting down powerful TK’s and cyborg assassins with a thought? Not normal.
But what the hell is that sound? A gut feeling tells me to lockdown, to run an integrity check on my own mind. They’ve taught me to not-project. But I need to learn defense as well, to make sure my mind is my own, that I keep it that way.

“What kind of things?” I ask Henry. I’m genuinely interested, but I’m curious if they’ll reveal any of their own agenda.

((

I used d4 for psi mental self-defense. Let me know if that’s wrong. Walcheck is being his paranoid self. I’m assuming normally I would roll this after actually being attacked mentally. Walcheck is just stretching his mental muscles.

Perception on the whine sound -> result = 6
Psi self defense -> result = 1

))

Sep 12

to Wraith
“Things like that…” he nods to you, feeling you clamping down your mind way too hard.. you realize you gave some of your agenda away by asking that question.
“Things like we can’t imagine yet. I hear you are into technology. Your mind was also built for that but, even more so and more importantly you are a Mental prime. Primes have been know to have immense power and influence on the galaxy. I hope for all our sakes your intentions are as decent as my tea leaves tell me. Well a question then. Do you want to spend the next month mastering your abilities? ? Or do you want time to adjust to all of this…or do you just want to run away?? ”
He smiles a smile from memory.
“I sure wanted to when I found out I was alpha..”
Sep 12

to Wraith
No idea of the sound
Sep 12

to GM
I lean back into the overstuffed couch, almost getting swallowed up in it. It feels comforting, like a big hug.Immense power, galactic influence. I thought I understood the implications of being a Prime, but it’s overwhelming.

“What do I want to do? Honestly? All three at the same time.” I smile self-deprecatingly.

“But mostly, I want to learn. To master this new aspect of myself. “ I say, steeling my nerve.

“How else am I going to subjugate the galaxy under my iron-fisted will?” I smile.

“Kidding! I’m just kidding.”

Sep 13

to Wraith
His head rolls back laughing, his shoulders moving visibly.
“Ha HA! That’s a great sign!”
Sep 14

to Wraith
I callled u want to discuss traiining
Sep 14

to GM
Sorry busy weekend, I’ll try and call on Monday.
Sep 14

to Wraith
Dude ditto no worries at all!! 🙂
Freaking kids!
Sep 17

to Wraith
You are taken out of the city to a wonderful -half submerged by the sand- training base. It’s beautiful and there are like 20 people there. Over the next month you learn so much, and so much of what you can do. It seems like every single thing has psionics to you, something you can grab onto and touch. You quickly run out of things to learn and withing the month you surpass all there including teachers.
The people here are from all over the quadrant..none are that friendly..
Sep 18

to GM
I thank the instructors for all their help in training me. I let the institute leaders know if there is anything I can do to repay them to let me know. It’s not a blank check, but if it seems reasonable I want to help. I also give them a way to contact me if something comes up after I’m gone, like an untraceable darknet email address you could say. The same goes for Ryder, I owe him, so I give him the same offer of a favor and/or email to contact me at.

If they don’t immediately have a favor to ask, then I have my own goals I’m interested in pursuing. Roughly in order of preference:
1) Let’s get some useful gear: clothes/armor/personal-shielding, binoculars, active cammo (think predator cloaking). I can’t think of anything else in this category right now, but I’m assuming I could just buy this outright at this point. Maybe some car modifications for armor, weapons, speed, looks, personalization.
2) Clearing my bounty/criminal record off the galactic networks. Hell, if possible, maybe even zeroing out my id. I’m sure this will be no problem. :p
3) An FTL fighter and/or stealth scout type ship that Shelly or I could crew by ourselves, but probably useful to have room for passengers, additional crew, cargo, etc. I’m probably more interested in something stealthy. I’m assuming I would need to either steal the ship or the funds to build/modify it or something. But if I’m going to be a galaxy-hopping psionic superhero, I need a sweet ride. Even if I get really good at teleporting, mwahaha. Also room for the car if I’m going to hook that up.
4) Getting Shelly a body up to her standards/specifications
5) Seeking advanced psionic instruction
6) Tracking down and eliminating the corp/organization/evil mastermind that turned that dude into a killbot in the desert. That shit is messed up and needs to stop.

Sep 19

to Wraith
Sweet! An agenda!!

After ‘graduaion’ you head back into town to your small apartment.
They gave it to you as a gift. Your own base in this ragtag colony town.
Like all other places in this town the desert seems to encroach. .the window shows dusty dark night streets with gangs roaming at night. You guys run rings around the gang members, they learn to leave the psi element alone after a while.

Psi-core’s sniffers are the only worry and they have a rotation… sort of. Lately they have been stepping up patrols.
AttachmentsSep 19

to Wraith

3 Attachments

Preview attachment 02-whisky riverx-large.jpg
Image
02-whisky riverx-large.jpg
Preview attachment e10640ACS-6.jpg
Image
e10640ACS-6.jpg
Preview attachment 000349s04.jpg
Image
000349s04.jpg
Sep 19

to Wraith
Right now you are only here 4 weeks
Sep 19

to Wraith
You know the places to get some gear how much you looking to spend?
Sep 20

to GM
((
That’s a good question, how much money do I have now again, like 200k?
I don’t want to make myself broke, but I want quality stuff. I imagine binocular type sunglasses and body armor would be pretty affordable, but I have no idea how much active cammo would be to be decent, or if a personal shield is even a thing. Also no clue about car mods. An energy pistol would be dope to have, especially if I’ve developed my energy psionics at all.

Considering that I made this money from killbot, I imagine that I’d have to spend at least 100k to get quality versions of all that, give or take.
))
Sep 20

to Wraith
You currently have little to no contacts in this town save the Psi Outreach Center.

The town is layed out in a criss cross of paved Sandy streets. Littered with people performing various jobs. Many here mine the planet, asteroids.. some make fine exports. They have even brought agriculture with their hydrogen condensers to make potable water out here in the desert.

In this town of Haggerty there’s a pretty big middle class section straddled on either side by the rich or the poor. where do you start?

You have good armor but it identifies you with the rebels and all of their baggage.

Sep 21

to Wraith
Personal shields are a thing. Just usually military grade. so are really good antigrav packs and LQD’s (lightweight quantum decks) are also military grade or very expensive. You have enough money to buy the best of what’s here in town. . But you might have to wait for a trader or go to the main town of Mercy for better gear.
Sep 21

to GM
(( I’ll drive out to Mercy then, checkout what they’ve got. I want to replace my armor as well. ))

Sep 21

to Wraith
((So I’m assuming you left quickly and told Noone? ))
Sep 21

to GM
(( Yeah I’m not sure how settled into my apartment I was. Assuming I don’t have too much there I’ll pack it up and bounce. Since I don’t have much in the way of connections I just leave. Like I said I did give the center leaders and Ryder a way to contact me, but I don’t tell them where I’m going, if they ask would tell them though.))
Sep 22

to Wraith
12 hours later you arrive at Mercy.
Being a proper city you see it glowing in the distance as you approach. The sun is rising behind you and hover cars are becoming a more frequent sight.

People seem more mainstream here but in a different context out so far from the iron grip of the alliance core. Out here Senator Eldred Rutherford the 3rd rules the alliance outpost delta. This outpost is one of about 8 and covers this entire quadrant. Although they have ships, shipments and reinforcements coming in weekly the impression you get is that they cannot keep up with the growth over time.

Local planets have their own autonomy like states and are rarely policed. Local cities like this have their own laws and justice and police force brimming cops ready to bust heads.

You pull into mercy and feel all of these opposing forces. You are greeted at the toll booth that seems to be at the main road, by a thick brute of a woman. Dry brown hair flopped on her head like an afterthought.
“100 credits or take the side entrance please..” her eyes look at you like an insect, inscrutable yet creepy.
You see the city behind her. Tech, banks, bars. ..a aah yeah. Sweet trouble..
Sep 22

to GM
I swipe one of my spoofed local credsticks, distracted by the cityscape in the distance. Finally a proper city.

Might not be as cosmopolitan as home, but I never had the creds to appreciate it anyway. No, this time is gonna be different, I can finally kick back and relax. Plus, if any shit goes down it’ll be a hell of a lot easier to disappear into the masses than into the desert.

Time to spend some of the creds burning a hole in my pocket.

Sep 22

to Wraith
You roll into the city and are not disappointed. The entire thing is packed like nyc and Chinatown. You’re already an obscure number to the system here and Shelly has you up on security cameras ready to conveniently stop monitoring if needed.

Hover traffic jams afford you some time to look around.
Signs scream out with neon holographic voices, collapsing your vision with well designed advertising.
Rooms for rent!!
Tech supply depot!!
Shipsey’s shipyard! ->
Mulligans pub!
Lee’s housing supply!!
Marquez Laundering! Clothes and more!
Identification Services!
Bounty City!!!

All with website access for context and contact info.

A man in security uniform walks over to you and tries to sell you watches from the street..

A person is juggling 3 glowing orbs and the crowd seems to also like his 2 pet piglets.

Chaos. Sweet city.

There is an alliance sniffer! He’s looking around frantically trying to zero in on you. He looks like he belongs in a french movie, chubby with a mustache and a funny hat, but with alliance clothing and a rifle. He also is wearing a psi damper.. no wonder the hat looks so dumb and he can’t find you. There are Too many people here for him you are safe. He’s bothering a little girl with big eyes, questioning her parents..
“Is she registered? ??”
Traffic begins to move.
Sep 23

to GM
I take it all in with a big smile on my face. I briefly consider doing something about the sniffer, but I’ll probably help the little girl out more by locking my vibes down and moving along.

“So Shelly, I think we’ll need to whip up a faked psionic-registration for me, or at least buy one. These sniffers are everywhere, won’t always be crowded enough to fool them.”

I drive along with the moving traffic. “Let’s find a room to rent first, something nice enough to be safe, but not so nice that every atom is recorded. Probably smart to find more than one spot like then if we need to move around.”

“We should also do some research into where to shop for some gear. Anyone selling military grade hardware? We want someone reputable enough (in the underworld) to not want to mess up their reputation screwing customers.”

(( Walcheck life experience is with the criminal side, so naturally his instincts are to stay anonymous. He’s assuming that what he wants to buy will mean dealing with criminal weapons dealers. He’s willing to pay a premium to deal bigger time folks, guys that make more by charging a premium.

Let me know if I need to roll anything, like psionics to dampen my vibes. I gave Walcheck a decent (d12) streetwise, but I assume it wouldn’t really be usable yet since I’m totally new to Mercy. ))

AttachmentsSep 23

to Wraith
Being trained by the elite of the outreach you clamp down all of your psi and register as a Gamma Metaphisical matching your identity chip and relaxing you.
You drive off and head towards what looks like more open area to find a place to stay.

Shelly sends you the location of several vendors purporting to have ‘refurbished and repurposed’ military grade stuff. And several mentions on some less reputable websites that offer prostitution, trafficking and smuggling services.

After 10 minutes in traffic you come to a block with a long and tall building. The sign reads ‘Mercy’s Rest Motel and Estates of West Mercy’ It seems capable of housing hundreds of people comfortably for short and long term stay. There is a sign for people shuttling to spacecraft and signs to the parking lot as well as registration office.
Attachments area
Preview attachment 3c387f2834eb03643f4d7072067cdaec (1).jpg
Image
3c387f2834eb03643f4d7072067cdaec (1).jpg
Sep 23

to GM
I head to parking and then registration, might as well crash out before I go shopping.

(( Streetwise in Mercy -> result = 9 ))

Sep 23

to Wraith
You park in the underground lot. More people than should be are in cars or loitering. You quickly make your way to registration a man with his face entirely tattooed takes your creds and gives you a nice room.
Within an hour you are all unpacked and set up to crash after a little tinkering of course. You sleep well for the first time in years. You Wake 12 hours later lulled to deep sleep by the city’s noises.
Sep 23

to GM
*Yawn* “Oh man I needed that.” I drive to the most promising of the military grade vendors.

(( Interested in disguised armor (like the browncoat but without the baggage), binocular-glasses, an energy pistol w/ clips, active cammo, and personal shields. Mostly looking for self-defense w/subtlety, better to look like an average joe than a walking weapons platform. After that I’ll looking into getting myself off the bounty-boards, if that’s even possible. ))

Sep 23

to Wraith
You pull into Angelos Surplus store.
A tall surly bearded black man with red hair and feckles greets you. His apron shows burns marks from his work.
You give him your list and he comes back with a number astronomically high.
“6 million creds for almost this! What a baaargain! ” he beams!
Sep 23

to GM
I don’t bother to stifle my laughter. I wipe a tear from my eye. “That’s hilarious, I needed that.”

“One credit.” I deadpan.

(( If he gives me another bs amount I just turn and leave. I’m assuming I have a decent idea of what I should be paying even accounting for illegality markups etc thank to Shelly. I can always pluck a fair price out of his head via telepathy. ))

Sep 23

to Wraith
Totally this guy’s a real dealer roll streetwise again or roll your psi if you’re doing something
Sep 23

to Wraith
“Okay okay, 350,000 creds, see I aim to please”

He gives you maximum price for each item. No breaks here.. waiting on your streetwise roll
Sep 24

to GM
“At least that’s more reasonable. Give me price list, I may have to drop some items.”

(( I’m going to use Telepathy to get a fair price for each item. What should I roll?” ))

Oct 15

to GM

((

You wrote: After your last mission attempt, you head back home and rest. To your surprise there is a message waiting for you from the arms dealer. He says he thinks he’s been hacked and it’s probably been for about a month. He gives you an address to meet him. it’s a few blocks away from his shop.

From our last phone conversations, I mentioned I would tell the investigator dude that I would get back to him about the ghost work, but I do agree to run tech support for him. Depending on the vibes I get from the guy I may eventually reveal more of my abilities to him. I feel like he may be my way into a more heroic way of life. Baby steps 🙂

We also talked about me spending some time practicing psi abilities to make them more reliable. You told me to assume all but 4 abilities were at full power now. Here are the 4 abilities I have that still need practice:
Emotional Inducement (D6)
Awareness Enhanced (D8)
Bio-Feedback (mental) (D10)
Psychic Navigation (D10)

))

When Angelo tells me that he’s been hacked for a month, my blood runs cold. I do a little mental math, and I’m fairly certain that means he was being hacked while I was in his store. Nice. I guess it’s time to pay off my debt to him and clean up some of my own tracks at the same time. I do a little snooping into his systems to see if I can find any clues and to confirm if the whole hacking story holds up. I also check out the local security systems at the meet to make sure that this isn’t some kind trap, either one set up by Angelo himself or if his hacker already knows about the meet up.

(( Using my d4 telemechanics for the hacks, you can roll for me since I’m not sure how many rolls it should be.))

Oct 17

to Wraith
The trace shows a clean system.. almost.. you see some inconsistencies and when you delve deeper you meet psionic resistance. You can feel the alpha monitoring the systems and indeed one of his feeds are the meeting place. Angelo is already there drinking presumably with a old friend the way they are talking, leaning in close and laughter.
He’s got it locked down you would have to hack the alpha himself but he’s experienced and you think has backup.
This guy is a ghost in the machine. Parsing with his mind as you are and his system looks like a super Mario Bros castle complete with lava.

Shel is re formatting her quantum system to the 10 to the negative 15 spectrum and is indisposed. She need to do this as her mind grows. Conscious beings call this sleep. Luckily she only needs to do this weekly.
Oct 22

to GM

((
Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond dude. Throwing get a party’s a lot of work when you never do it. Then work decided to get busy, lol.
))

I’m taken aback by the amount of monitoring Angelo’s is under. My instinct is to say fuck it and book. But there are two problems with that plan. One, there’s a good chance they already know who I am, if not what. Two, I don’t feel like running anymore. I like Mercy, I want to stick around.

Staring at Alpha Mario’s Castle, I have an epiphany. All this psychic potential and training, but I still have the instincts of a null hacker. Time to send Angelo a message, telepathically.

I stare at the video feed to Angelo’s meet. In my mind I envision an encoded laser link between us. I try my best to make the communication undetectable and untraceable. Or at the very least any mental tracing or tapping shouldn’t go unnoticed by me.

((I’ll use {} to represent telepathy.))

{ Angelo, this is Wraith. Act natural. I can’t make the meet. You were right, you are being hacked. Your meet is being watched right now. This is big time too. At least one Alpha, probably more.

I can help, but on two conditions. One, my debt is squashed. Two, you tell me what you know about who is doing this any why, now. If I find out you held something back, and I will find out, then I don’t owe you shit and I don’t do shit, got it? }

(( again, feel free to roll for me, my telepathy is d4, but I assume I’m doing something tough trying to make a secure communication over a video feed.))

Oct 22

to Wraith
You hear his mind churning. Who could it be? Who the fuck would dare.. is the last thought he has before going blank. before you see them…The room freezes then everyone gently falls over. 4 men in black gear and wearing ski masks stroll in and some pillage and steal the other one walks towards Angelo and then the Camera goes black..
Oct 23

to GM
<Holy Shit. You picked some time to take a nap Shel, I could use your help right now.> I think to myself. Still, I let her keep formatting.

I need to know what I’m dealing with, and fastest way is to crack Alpha Mario Castle. Still, he’s an Alpha Telemechanic with backup. Better to hack him/her, instead of her system.

I trace Alpha Mario’s location, trying to find a camera feed. At the same time I feed a string of numbers into Angelo’s system -8245482-, something Alpha Mario is sure to see and not understand. I expand my consciousness outwards, searching for the mind churning on -8245482-.

(( So to be clear I’m trying to get a visual of Alpha Mario and setting up a Telepathic ping using the string of numbers. I’m trying to get him/her to think about this string of numbers so I can find her mind and start to Mind Hack it using Mind control/Telepathy. I figure I’m a powerful enough telepath to do this assuming the Hacker is close enough to do this hack. The camera/number ping is really just to make finding them easier. I figure while we might be equally good hackers, I have the advantage when it comes to telepathy, and I’ll need to press my advantages when I’m facing a group of enemies that are obviously professionals. My plan is to mind hack Mario to get him/her to open up his systems and tell/show me everything he/she knows about what is going on.

You can roll for me. Please let me know if I’m trying stuff you think should not work. It’s hard to wrap your mind around the power levels we have going here. I’m sort of assuming with my high Telemechanics and telepathy using them in concert like this makes sense. ))

Oct 25

to GM
It’s cool if you don’t want to roll for me, I understand. Just let me know of what I should roll. One telemechanics roll and one telepathy roll (or maybe mind control)?
Oct 27

to GM
((
Sorry, this life just threw me a curve-ball, car decided to die and I need to go car shopping this week :/

Here’s my Psi mental roll -> result = 2
))

Oct 30

to Wraith
As you realize too late your miscalculation, you appear in a room colored steely grey. 9 men dressed in military riot gear are pointing weapons at you.

One man with a metallic helmet and administrative clothes holding a needle stands before you.

He is sheilded from your mental power and the men have psi dampers little square sensors on their temples on to deal with mental ability.

As you enter the room there is momentary pause as 2 things happen – the alarm on the wall that says psi power level is red and reading ‘MAX’ making the alarms go off.. and everyones eyes get really wide.

Nov 1

to GM
(( Such an awesome setup! ))

Holy shit, out of the frying pan and into the fucking volcano.

I feel my adrenaline kicking my reflexes into high gear, and a large smile spreads across my face. “That was a mistake.” I say, as I teleport from the line of fire to behind the firing squad.

Then I hack the soldiers psi-dampeners to short them out. I’m trying to stun them, or at least open them up to mental attack.

(( So I’ll roll my d6 to teleport behind the soldiers and away from needle-guy, then my d4 for telemechanics to short out the dampeners. I’m trying to disable the dampeners and, if possible, stun them in the process. If that’s too much feel free to add modifiers, limit my actions etc.

Teleport behind firing line -> result = 1
Psi-dampener hacking -> result = 3
))

Nov 2

to Wraith
The administrator starts running as soon as the lights go off. A hail of tranquilizer darts hit the wall behind where you just stood.
Time slows as you enter a helmet and quickly setup a network feedback after a quick look around. It only takes a second but the admin turns and slaps the emergency mode. .
Thick secure glass blast doors are dropping as a gas fills the room. He’s already laughing as he’s near a vent. .
What do u do
Nov 2

to GM
(( One question, when you say “he’s already laughing as he’s near a vent” Do you mean the gas is already affecting him because it’s coming out of the vent, or do you mean he’s laughing because the vent is protecting him from the gas? ))
Nov 2

to Wraith
Because of — he’s fuucked up
Nov 3

to GM
(( I’ll teleport to the other side of the glass doors. I’ll let the gas handle these guys. I get the hell out of this room.
Teleportation 2 -> result = 2
))

Nov 3

to Wraith
When you get to the other side of the room you hear dozens of footsteps and minds coming towards you. 3 of them are psi!!

Nov 3

to Wraith
When I say sorry I mean beta or above
Nov 3

to GM
Shit, I’ve really kicked the hornet’s nest here. Need to get the fuck out of Dodge.

(( I’ll use belief inducement to have one of the psi believe that his companions are after him, hopefully chaos ensues. If I can tell anything about their abilities I’m targeting a Physical psi.
Belief Inducement -> result = 1
))

Nov 3

to GM
(( To be more specific I want him/her to think that all the alarms and so on are for him/her, that their mission is to kill him/her. ))

Nov 3

to Wraith
Holy fuck you are evil and have been rolling flawlessly.
He always knew those two were against him!
Alarms blare as gunshots go off and chaos does indeed ensue. 2 more psi coming at you. One a Meta alpha the other an alpha mental.
Nov 3

to Wraith
Suddenly only the meta is after you
Nov 3

to GM
(( I’ll use belief Inducement on the Meta to make him/her believe that he/she is my best bud and must get me out of here right away.

belief inducement on the meta -> result = 6
))

Nov 3

to Wraith
Meta comes around the corner and you feel blocked. He looks like a native american shaman. Ancient shite. You see in your minds eye a severe looking hawk and you are the prey. Holy shit this isn’t just his mind. This is some huge presence protecting his brains. He points a gnarled hand at you. ((Roll coming//
Nov 3

to GM
Shit, these flickers just keep coming. Can’t get a breather to try and shut down this alarm and get some intel.

“Shelly, listen I hate to wake you but I’m drowning in fucking mercs here” I subvocalize.

When I turn the corner I see the Meta I failed to turn to my side, and then I see why. Fucking Eagle spirit of Justice has his mind on lockdown. Too many God damn pros. Angelo pissed off some badass motherfuckers, that’s for sure.

I double over in pain as I feel him try to shatter my mind. I barely hold on, by some miracle. Our eyes lock as he points his finger at me. I wipe a trail of blood from my nose and smirk. I raise my own hand towards him, my first two fingers extended like a child pretending to hold a blaster.

“Bang.” I say, as a streak of red death flashes towards him.

(( I use energy manipulation to blast him.

Finger laser – > http://orokos.com/roll/230297 result = 1 (I know wtf)
))

 

And he teleports away leaving those still falling feathers in his wake. Gunshots stop..
Nov 4

to GM
(( when you say I can save once, do you mean I can try a saving throw to end the effect, or something else?))
Nov 4

to Wraith
Yes once you realize you are cursed!
Nov 5

to me
(( Ok I’ll use telemechanics to point me to an escape route, maybe a hangar bay or something. Then I want to try and compromise the security system so that I don’t show up on it.

Telemechanics for escape -> result = 4 ))

Nov 5

to Wraith
There are multiple ways out

You jump into the system and immediately get targeted by 2 alphas!! They have network locked down !! They are trying to kick u out. Beat a 3
Nov 6

to GM
(( Telemechanics defense -> result = 2 ))

Nov 6

to Wraith
AaThe electric handcuffs that bind your avatar – along with the 2 Alphas that were facing you melt away in digital disintergration. You hear their digital screams fade. You power your way into this companys systems.
Orion systems. Big player out here bad news. But you are balls deep in with one finger up their mainframe and it feels good.

All this took seconds as they gather their troops ypu have about 10 mintues to check your email before you have to book it.

You are in sub level b standing at a junction. To the east are elevators. To the right barracks. The barraks have many soldiers but also mechs and the hangar. The elevators go down to levels c and d.

C is the holding pen. A mini prison in its own right. you have full access.

D is research and dev. Up is the farce of a company that does legal paerwork and political fraternizing. Campaian support.
It is a typical company…exits..cameras.. coffee..

More information upon request.

Nov 6

to GM
(( lol that description was awesome. I’ll roll telemechanics 4 times, one for each item.

4 telemechanics rolls – > http://orokos.com/roll/230845
Result = 3, 3, 4, 1
))

When life gives you a sandbox, make a list!

1) Insert backdoors into the security systems, mech friend/foe targeting systems, and Orion psi dampener network to give myself easy access and allow me to use mental abilities against them.

2) Set off dozens of false alarms all over the facility, as well as fake versions of me running all over the facility on the security systems. Take myself off of the camera feed long enough to activate my active camouflage.

3) Peruse mech schematics for something Shelly might like, something small enough to ride the elevators or in a vehicle. Is she even close to waking up yet? She’s missing all the fun.

4) Figure out why Orion wants Angelo and me. What is up with this facility, it feels like a psionic zoo. Who is in the Orion prison level currently.

5) Check email. (j/k)

Nov 6

to GM
Also gotta know what going on in research/development.

(( Telemechanics research / development – > http://orokos.com/roll/230847
Result = 1
))

Nov 22 (12 days ago)

to Wraith
You find yourself making rookie mistakes. It takes you twice as long do do what you wanted. Then you feel it you know the Meta messed up your MOJO. .

You get plans for all the floors.
1 goes well
2 also cool
3 nothing set but mad cool mechs! !!
4 Orion wants Shelly! You are in a file of suspects.
5 a lot of emails!! 3000 about 50 real ones from actual stuff from your old life. Friends fam etc..
6 in R&D you see the so much gear and robotics, weapons… you’ll dream of this..

Nov 26 (8 days ago)

to GM
(( Sweet, I thought I scared you off the game with my massive post. I’ll try and limit myself to one or two rolls per post next time. What do I roll to shake off the Meta Mojo curse? Was there anyone in the prison right now on level C? I asked that before.))
Nov 27 (7 days ago)

to Wraith
Lol! Did you get to roll a save when he put the hex on you? If so then you need incense and one extravagant mediation or wait for this to elapse. In other words it’ll take you about a half hour to shake off!
There are 6 men and 3 women in that corporate prison. Looks bleak from the camera feed. Most are debt criminals and one of the men is a bounty hunter named Alfred. He is wanted for collecting a bounty on a company man. One of the women Sarah is beautiful a perfect 10. She’s got a pretty long record of petty crimes.
//ps you didn’t scare me!! I just got busy and forgot!!!
Dec 1 (3 days ago)

to GM
(( No, you never let me roll a save against the curse. You said once I realized that I had been cursed I could then roll a save, I just don’t know what to roll. See our notes on Nov 4. Once I attempt my save (assuming I can) I’ll write a virus to subtly corrupt all Orion info on Shelly and I. Something not obvious so it has a chance of spreading throughout their systems, just corrupting enough to lead them astray. Changing descriptions, last known locations, capabilities, etc. So that their info is becomes than useless.

I’ll also unlock the prison ward locks and add the prisoners to the friend list on the Mechs, so the mechs ignore them. Then I’ll activate the mechs so that the mechs start blasting away at the goons in the barracks. Then I’ll head to R&D… mwahaha ))

Dec 1 (3 days ago)

to GM
(( I should also find out what happened to Angelo, anything on him in the computer? Did they ice him, capture him? ))

6:49 PM (6 hours ago)

to GM
((

Meta Save -> http://orokos.com/roll/236031 result = 4
Telemechanics 1-3 -> http://orokos.com/roll/236032 result = 3, 1 ,1
1 = Virus
2 = Mech/prison locks
3 = Angelo info

))

Leave a Reply